Cho đến ngày -- ở New Mexico chính thức có -- ca nhiễm COVID-19. Tìm hiểu thêm

I need assistance

  1. Home
  2. I need assistance

Information For Individuals Experiencing Financial Hardship

Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham has declared a state of public health emergency in New Mexico as a result of the novel coronavirus disease (also known as COVID-19). In the midst of this unprecedented public health crisis, the negative impact to the economy has caused many individuals and families to suffer severe financial difficulties. The state and private companies have taken measures to mitigate financial hardship and the state is diligently working to identify additional sources of relief and to advocate for a full measure of federal support.

Schools have been closed and I need affordable childcare for my children. What can I do?

To seek childcare, please visit or call 1-800-691-9067.

I'm a senior that needs food. What can I do?

Senior & Disabled Adults Food Access Hotline:

New Mexico’s Aging and Long Term Services Department (ALTSD) leadership acknowledged the wonderful community partners throughout the state who have stepped up to assist our senior and vulnerable populations during the COVID-19 pandemic, including many corporate and local grocery stores that are offering special shopping hours. Many have adjusted their hours, typically opening early, to allow these individuals to beat the crowds and reduce their risk of exposure, as the virus is more dangerous to the elderly and immunocompromised, and many essential items have been difficult for seniors to find. The early hours have the additional benefit of allowing seniors to shop while shelves are well stocked.

I am running low on food and need help. What can I do?

Below is a list of resources for food assistance:

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as the Food Stamp Program, provides financial assistance to eligible New Mexicans with low income and limited resources to purchase food products. SNAP benefits are simple to use to purchase qualifying food products at participating grocery stores.

I lost my job. What do I do now?

You may be eligible for unemployment compensation if the situations described below apply to you:

  • Workers who have had their hours reduced or lost their jobs as a result of COVID-19.
  • Workers who are self-isolated or directed to be isolated or who have immediate family who is isolated.

For more information, click here.

The New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions is waiving the work search requirements for any of the above impacted workers for up to four weeks. To start looking for another job, register as a job seeker at or at your local New Mexico. Workforce Connection Center. Creating an account and registering in the New Mexico Workforce Connection system is required within 14 days of your initial claim for Unemployment Insurance benefits.

For more information click the link below for an Unemployment 101 FAQ.

I can’t pay my utility bills. What can I do?

Many utility companies, including electric, gas and water authorities, have publicly committed to suspending shut-offs due to non-payment for a period of time during the COVID-19 public health emergency. Payment plans and reduced rates for low-income individuals may also be available.

If one or more of your utility services has been shut off and you require assistance to contact your provider, please call the state’s COVID-19 general hotline at 1-833-551-0518.

For more information about your providers or to inquire about your bill, click the link below:

I can’t pay my internet or cell phone bill. What can I do?

All major internet service providers and telecommunications companies in the state have signed onto the Federal Communications Commission’s Keep America Connected Pledge. The companies have pledged for the next 60 days (through May 12th) to:

  • Not terminate service to any residential or small business customers because of their inability to pay their bills due the disruption of the coronavirus pandemic;
  • Waive any late fees that any residential or small business customers incur because of their economic circumstances related to the coronavirus epidemic;
  • Open Wi-Fi hotspots to any American who needs them. 

If your internet or cell phone service has been terminated and you require assistance to contact your provider, please call the state’s COVID-19 general hotline at 1-833-551-0518.

For more information about your provider’s response to COVID-19 or to inquire about your bill, click the link below:

I can’t pay my mortgage. What can I do?

The Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) has announced that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac would provide payment forbearance to borrowers impacted by the coronavirus. Forbearance allows for a mortgage payment to be suspended for up to 12 months due to hardship caused by the coronavirus.

FHFA has also directed Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to suspend foreclosures and evictions for at least 60 days (beginning March 19) due to the coronavirus national emergency. The foreclosure and eviction suspension applies to homeowners with an Enterprise-backed single-family mortgage.

Many mortgage lenders in New Mexico are backed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and will follow these directives accordingly. Please contact your lender for information specific to your mortgage.

If you have received an eviction notice, please call the state’s COVID-19 general hotline at 1-833-551-0518.

I have a fine or fee due to New Mexico Courts and I can’t pay. What can I do?

The Supreme Court has issued an order extending the payment of fines and fees for 30 days to help financially struggling New Mexicans during the COVID-19 public health emergency and reduce the number of people who appear in courthouses to resolve traffic and other cases. 

The Supreme Court’s order will add 30 days to the payment deadline imposed by a magistrate, metropolitan, district or municipal court for fines and fees that must be paid between March 19 and May 29, 2020. The extension does not apply to amounts past due. 

If you have questions about your payment deadline, contact the court that imposed the penalties. A list of courts and contact information can be found here.

I can’t pay my taxes. What can I do?

Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham and Taxation and Revenue Department Secretary Stephanie Schardin Clarke announced March 20 that New Mexicans will have an extra 90 days to file and pay their 2019 personal income taxes in recognition of the economic hardships many are facing as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Taxpayers will have until July 15 to file and pay any taxes due.

The deadline for 2019 corporate income taxes also will be extended until July 15. In addition, the state is extending deadlines for employers to remit withholding taxes.

For more information, please visit the Tax and Revenue Department’s fact sheet here.

If you have filed a return and you are due a refund, the Department is processing those returns and refunds. You can check your refund status through the Taxpayer Access Point (TAP) here.

Additional Resources:

Senior & Disabled Services

  • Senior Food Hotline: 1-800-432-2080
  • Ombudsman Office- request communication device for loved one in a facility- 1-866-451-2901

  • Medicaid, Medicare, Disability Waiver Services- 1-800-432-2080

  • Report Abuse, Neglect or Exploitation- 1-866-654-3219

  • Emotional Crisis, Mental Health, or Substance Abuse- 1-855-662-7474

  • Grandparents raising Grandchildren Resources- 1-800-432-2080